I really think that my roommates would like this…
An Original Recipe by Not Quite Nigella
- 500grams/1 pound smoked bacon (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium brown onion sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Tabasco sauce (according to taste)
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Black pepper to taste
- extra water
1. In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1 inch pieces.
2. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.
After 5 minutes of cooking
3. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water. Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.
After 30 minutes-1 hour of cooking
After 2 hours of cooking
4. When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste like.
If you enjoyed this post, why not share it with your friends?